Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Inspiring Seminar!

Dr. Powell at 1965 World's Fair
    This past weekend, I attended our system's annual seminar, The Moses Powell Memorial Seminar.  The goal of this seminar is to show the same things we all know, but in a different way, or different application.  There were three days of hard working out, and each one had a different aspect.  Thursday we worked on what we call the "20 Movements" of aikido.  You know, ikkyu, nikkyu, sankyu, etc. through the familiar locks, pins, and throws.  The difference, was doing them from the ground.  Our system's goal is to not be on the ground, as it is a vulnerable place, but to be able to get off the ground.  I (pardon the pun) was floored by these applications.  I've been doing this for over a dozen years, and I've never seen these applications.  I also ways feel so humbled by these seminars.   
Dr. Powell and Master Vee
    The second day, we worked with another instructor whose main art is Wing Chun.  We learned, and quickly practiced some basic Wing Chun blocks.  Then, for the next hour and a half, we were shown ways that these blocks can be used in Jujutsu/aikido.  Again, such simple things applied differently can change the whole way I look at certain techniques.  I both hate it and love it when that happens.  It's good to know that no matter how long I do this activity, that there will always be a larger world out there that what I know.

    Now, time to get back on the mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment