Saturday, August 17, 2013

Martial Arts moving day

Martial arts moving day
By J. A. Wilson

      I hate moving.  I've just completed changing locations to call home.  I lived at my previous place for 5 years.  This may not seem like that long to live in one place, but it is surprising how much "stuff" you collect in that amount of time.  After packing up all the family's stuff, I realized how much, I threw away.  I went with the idea that if I haven't used it in 2 years, I obviously don't need it.  With that in my head I filled up about 10 garbage bags with of junk.  I appreciate this aspect of moving.  There is something that is satisfying to streamlining your life. 
    Moving also gives you a chance to dust off all the places that are normally way out of cleaning range.  You know, behind the entertainment center, under the bed, and all those other places that allow dust bunnies to breed.
    I started thinking this is what my martial arts needs, a moving day!  A day to dust off all those old skills that haven't seen the light of day in a while.  A refresher day if you will.  It also makes you re-evaluate the skills you haven't used in a while.  Why haven't you practiced them?  Are they no longer part of your path, or your goals?  If not why not?
      Moving, unintentionally, makes you review the stuff in your
life.  Every one's martial arts should have a day to review your martial arts path.  This can be a specific day of the year, or a day in preparation for a test, or whatever you want it to be, just be sure to have an honest review with yourself, and see what needs cleaning, and why somethings haven't been used in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment